Saturday, April 19, 2008

3/2 Seattle - my last visit with my Grandfather (updated with Video)

Prior to leaving for Alaska, Kylie and I made a weekend trip up to Seattle to accomplish 2 things.
1. Visit my Grandfather
2. Complete my taxes

Ever since I've moved down to Portland, I've tried to make bi-monthly visits to Seattle/Redmond to visit my Grandfather and family. Over the last 2 years, his health has been in steady decline. Prior to any big trip (and I've had several over the last year), I've made a point to visit... never knowing which visit will be my last. And I thank Traci for encouraging me to do this, because she recognizes how important my family is to me and how dear my Grandfather is to me.

Those that know me well, know that I've had the privilege of having my Grandparents around all my childhood and adolescence. We all shared a home together until 1998 when my mom moved back down to California. At the time, I'm sure I didn't appreciate that fact like I do now. Now I know how fortunate I was and cherish the memories that I have.


Great Aunt Connie pushing Kylie.




It still saddens me to think of Ong (Vietnamese for Grandfather) in this state. It was good to see him, despite how frail he was.




Kylie coming up to say hi to Ong. Kylie was able to put a smile on Ong's face with just her sillyness and just being a kid. Ong has always appreciated seeing the various grandkids and greatgrandkids running around and just being kids.




If you can't tell...there is a smile here. Ong has always had a knowing smile.



The news of Ong's passing came while Traci, Kylie and I were in Anchorage, waking up from a mid afternoon nap. Like 9/11 and other significant events, you never forget where you were when you heard the news.


Kinh Trinh 1909 - March 9th, 2008
Link to the memorial tribute video: http://mem.com/movie/MovingMemories.asp?ID=2336248


Celebrating my uncle Tin's 65th Birthday at I Love Sushi. 2004

My mom and Ong at Pumpkin Ridge, 2006.

Ong and Bac Tin, 2007

Lot's of Lobster in Chinatown Seattle, 2004

Ong and Kylie at 4 weeks old, 2006

Ong and Kylie 4weeks old, 2006.

Ong and Kylie at 19weeks old, Oct. 2006.




The family, Jan 7th 2007

This is a rare 8mm video of me as a baby, and includes both my grandparents.


Rest in Peace Ong.

Cha'u thuong Ong! (I love you Grandpa!)

1 comment:

Peter T. Johnson said...

Thanks for sharing Chris - that was very moving.

Take care friend,


Pete