Friday, September 21, 2007

Sabbatical Blog: 9/17 Washington, DC - Colonial Williamsburg, VA

9/17 Washington, D.C. – Williamsburg, VA
This morning we got up, and made another stop to Bread and Chocolate for breakfast. The food was still good, as was the coffee. We set back to the hotel and headed out to do a walk around the Whitehouse. It is heavily secured as you’d expect, but it somehow different than visiting Buckingham palace, or the houses of Parliament. It is right there… seemingly at your fingertips. A symbol of the free world, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We discovered that the view from the South lawn is the most prominent view of the Whitehouse. The North side, isn’t much more than the circular driveway.

While we were outside on the north side, we met a couple from Devonshire, UK. It’s on the Southwest coast beyond Bath. We chatted with them for a bit, before circling around the block(s) to get to the south side.

We decided to bag the Capitol Building as we’ve been near enough to satisfy our curiosity. We headed back to the Hotel to pack-up and hit the road.

The drive to Williamsburg was easy. We checked into the Four Points Colonial Williamsburg, and then walked over to the historic Colonial Williamsburg. We came across the first home to the Continental Congress. Sadly, everything was closed… but we still walked the mile long road to have dinner at the Trellis restaurant, as recommended by the hotel. This is near William and Mary college.

The food was outstanding, and the retired couple sitting next to us were great to talk to. He was a retired IA cop, they’ve moved out to the foothills of Shenandoah and live on some acreage.

We hurried back home so Kylie go to bed. Since I opted for the upgraded room, we got a 2 bedroom suite that is detached from the main Four Points Sheraton… which meant that I had to bring my laptop over to the main building if I wanted to take advantage of their free wi-fi service. When checking in, we also got a couple of free-drink coupons from the attached lounge/restaurant. So while over there I had a couple drinks while blogging.

After my second drink (spread out over a few hours), I started to feel sick to my stomach… maybe too much food, (at dinner I must have drank a gallon of water), or the food was too rich… in either case I didn’t think I had too much to drink… In the end it was a losing battle and I lost my dinner that night. Something hit me hard, I came back to the hotel room, and pretty much called it a night.

Here's Kylie after getting into Traci's make-up bag.


Here we are on the North Side of the Whitehouse (photo taken by the couple from Devonshire).


This is the famous view of the symbol of the free world!


This builing was the original Capital of the Colonial states.


Here's a look down some of Colonial Williamsburg, horse poop and all.


Here's Traci and I being shamed in the stockade.


This was the Governer's Palace... though compared to European Palaces, it's more of a mansion.

No comments: