Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sabbatical Blog: 10/9 Cancun, Mexico Day 2

10/9 Cancun Day 2
I started my first full day feeling worse than ever. Just pure misery all over, congestion, soreness, sinus pressure, the works. And the weather wasn’t much to talk about today, mostly clouds with rain, and wind (but still hot and humid). I wasn’t a very happy camper today. Everything I did just took extra effort. I didn’t have much of an appetite this morning. We just picked on some of our leftover pizza from the night before. Kylie and I took a short walk around the resort and found all the pools and such. We all came back to the room and took a good 2 hour nap. I think we all felt rested after that.

We got our swimming garb on and headed down to the beach. It was nice to get out of the hotel room, though the beach wasn’t much nicer in that we were experiencing intermittent showers. Eventually, I took Kylie to the pool to swim for two reasons. One, she was covered in Sand from playing in the sand. And two, because I wanted to swim too. Traci inflated her blow up raft that we got in Hawaii, and I was able to navigate her through the pool. This was fun for awhile, then when she started losing interest in this pool, I moved to the larger pool. There we met a German family from Morristown, NJ. Gernot, Antonia, and Johanna (2 ½). Kylie had fun interacting with Johanna. It was good way to spend the afternoon. We seemed to be the only people braving the sporadic elements.

After getting cleaned up, Traci made the declaration that she wanted to have dinner at the Sea & Stones beach-side restaurant. It’s a large outdoor thatch roof bungalow with probably 16 tables. Their signature dish, is a Yucatan style heated stone that you cook your food on. Traci had the Angus Steak, while I had the Angus steak with/shrimp and scallops. It was delicious! We will no doubt come back and do it again. The atmosphere is wonderful, especially since at the peak there was 8 people total including us. And you have this beachfront view of the ocean.

After getting back to the Hotel room, and putting Kylie down, we decided we were ready for some dessert. Good thing some of my appetite has returned. Traci was craving the crème brulee, and I opted for the ice cream assortment. Traci was raving about the Vanilla Crème Brulee, and I was quite pleased with the ice cream assortment, Chocolate, Strawberry, and some sort of melon, mango flavor. The caramelized sugar bowl was edible too.

Flipping through the channels, I came across an intriguing but strange Spanish movie on Cinemax… Traci and I never fully understood what was going on, but I guess it was a love story and it took place in the 50’s. Some family had a house full of young girls, and they took in a young boy who eventually falls in love with one of the girls, whom the man of the house also has an affinity for... and eventually he plans to leave her stranded on some island. Very
strange, especially when you understand what they are saying.

Here we are at the beach.

And Kylie learning how to destroy sandcastles.

It was very humid. And wet, Kylie is wet from the rain here. It was a warm tropical rain.

Here I am chasing Kylie and playing with her.

And in one of the smaller pools.

Eventually there was the promise of a sun break. The beach alongside the Westin resort was very nice and long.

No comments: