Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sabbatical Blog: 9/24 Orlando, FL

9/24 Orlando, FL
Day 2 of our Disney adventure. We spent today at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Another $11 for parking. It’s not cheap to visit Disney. For 2 days for 2 adults, total cost $296 then tack on $22 in parking. Disneyland California was much cheaper, but then again, it’s been 2 years since we were last there. Today was starting out to be a beautiful day. Hot and sunny. Animal Kingdom is a much different park from the other Disney Parks… it’s kind of a glorified themed zoo. Lot’s of plant life.

The ride that I was most excited to ride was the Everest Expedition. On this ride you try to escape the Yeti. It is a rollercoaster ride, but much different than I expected from what I knew of it from the Travel Channel. I’d say more, but there was something special about riding it for the first time and experiencing the unexpected. It was great! Though the downside is that Traci and I both felt a little motion sick afterwards… that’s the price of getting old.

The rest of the day was good. No major lines. We did the Safari excursion, which was awesome. All real animals out in their pseudo-natural environment. We also rode the Kali River Rapids, which was another fun ride. It’s a big circular raft ride, and Traci and I got soaked! Good thing it was warm out.

By the time 3pm was rolling around, we felt like we had done everything we wanted to do, and some things twice. So we headed back to the Hotel, and then headed down to pool to hang out and swim. The Sheraton Safari hotel claims to the have the “World’s Largest Python Water Slide.” I’m guessing it may just be the only one made up to look like a Python, but it sure was fun.

Later on, we headed over to Downtown Disney to go to the Rainforest Café for dinner. That was a fun restaurant, very family friendly, and very kid friendly. Every now and then the lightning and thunder would happen, and the (animated) animals in the restaurant would start going crazy. Great for keeping Kylie interested. The only downside was Traci’s Filet Mignon. They apparently go very rare, when you want Medium Rare… there was plenty of Moo left in that cow. So Traci had to go four rounds with them before she got something she could even eat. After all the interaction with Scott the Manager he gave us 20% off the entrees on our bill.

The famed Tree of Life (sorry about the sideways photo).

"It's Tough to be a Bug". This photo is the first thing that made Traci laugh that day.

Here I am after getting soaked on the Kali River Rapids. Both Traci and I got the brunt of the big splash! I had a little dry spot on the bottom left front tail of my shirt. Must have been where my hand was?
Me giving Traci the all clear as we ride the dino-ride. I control the tilt, she controls the up-down.

Animal Kingdom has a kind of retro land called Dino-rama. They have a cool small roller coaster that spins. Primordial Whirl or something like that.

Traci reaching out for the Yeti.

Here I am on the Python water slide at the hotel.

My Dad, Kylie, and I at the pool.
And All of us at the Rainforest Cafe.

No comments: